Red lentils, beetroot and tomato puree. This is a great soup.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 beetroot, a bit bigger than a tennis ball
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 120g red lentils
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
- Boil the beetroot for an hour, then cool, peel and chop.
- Gently fry the chopped onion and celery in the olive oil for five minutes or so, add the chopped beetroot and stir.
- Add the stock, tomato puree and lentils, and bring to a simmer. Keep simmering for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup with a soup wand, and then add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with brown bread. Lovely, tasty, filling, red.