I have tried many recipes for ratatouille, this is the best. I think I got it off the internet, with a promise that this was the most authentic.
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 4 courgettes, halved and sliced
- 300g french beans, cut to 1 inch lengths
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of chopped fennel leaves
- fresh basil leaves, torn
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salt the diced aubergines and courgettes and set aside. Rinse the salt off after 20 minutes (I do this in a colander)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the aubergines and courgettes, and cook for another five minutes or so.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes, and then with the lid off for 20 minutes. Keep a close eye and stir occasionally, to stop the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan.
This freezes OK, but it is best reheated the day after making it.