I have no idea if this recipe is Mexican at all. I got it from my friend Kay, who I think got it from a book called the Vegetarian Epicure which I have never chased down yet.
- 2 large onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 floz olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups of white rice
- 1 1/2 pints of tomato puree (I use canned chopped tomatoes which I blend, or you could use passata)
- 2 tsp salt
- 14 floz water
- Chop the onions and garlic and lightly fry in the oil.
- Add the ginger, coriander, cloves and pepper, and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the rice and stir, cooking until the rice seems to be turning clear and beginning to brown
- Add the tomato puree, salt and water, and simmer for 25 minutes