It’s courgette season. I love raw courgette, so crunchy. I love it sliced into long strips and grilled, with lemon dressing. I love this salad, from Madhur Jaffrey. It is really easy and quick.
- 2 courgettes, around 350 to 400g
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 red onion
- 350ml plain yoghurt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste and garnish.
- Use a food processor to grate the courgette coarsely. Put the grated courgette onto a tea towel in a heap and sprinkle with half a teaspoon of salt.
- Peel the onion, halve it and then slice thinly across the way.
- Beat the yoghurt in a bowl and add 1/4 tsp salt, a pinch of cayenne and a grate of black pepper
- Wrap the tea towel around the grated courgette and wring out any excess water. Use your fingers to separate any clumps.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds start to pop, add the onion, and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the dried courgette, and fry for another three minutes or so. When it is done, turn the heat off and let it cool a bit, before stirring it into the yoghurt. Decant to a serving bowl and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
This can be served as a side dish with just about anything. It is as good cold from the fridge as it is warm.