I didn’t make this tonight, but I have tested this recipe often enough to know that it is the best. It is from The Organic Meat Cookbook by Frances Bissell. I’ve had this book for a while, and just about everything that I have made is delicious. This recipe can be made with beef mince, or with finely chopped venison. I don’t like minced venison, just doesn’t work well.
This can be served with rice or bread, with yoghurt as a side dish.
- 680g minced beef or diced venison
- 2 cans of red kidney beans, or 450g dried beans, scalded and then soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 280ml stock
- salt and pepper
- chopped coriander or parsley
- In a large casserole dish, fry the onion in the olive oil until it is golden.
- Add the mince or finely diced meat, and cook until browned. Stir in the spices so the meat is well-coated.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and beans, and enough water to ensure all the ingredients are covered.
- Simmer very slowly in the oven for 3-4 hours.
- Check the seasoning just before serving, and garnish with chopped herbs.