Very good version of a classic soup.
- 50g butter
- 350g beetroot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 litres of beef or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- black pepper
- 150ml sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fennel or dill leaves
- Melt the butter and gently cook the beetroot and carrot.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, and a small amount of stock, and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 20 minutes. Keep an eye, and add extra stock if required.
- Add all of the rest of the stock, as well as salt to season, the garlic, potatoes and pepper and cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked.
- About 10 minutes before the end, add the grated beetroot.
- Leave to stand after cooking for around 10 minutes.
- Serve in warm soup bowls, each portion topped with a good dollop of soured cream and garnished with chopped herbs. A side serving of bread and cheese goes well.