We had this last night and tonight, totally delicious.
- 50g butter
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 6 beetroot, boiled and skinned, cut into 1cm cubes
- salt and pepper
- 6 anchovies, or some worcestershire sauce
- 250ml to 300ml double cream
- Butter a gratin dish, and spread 1/3 of the cheese across the bottom.
- Add a layer of half the beetroot, and then add the anchovies, or a good sprinkling of worcestershire sauce.
- Next layer, another 1/3 of the cheese.
- Next layer, the rest of the beetroot.
- Last layer, add the rest of the cheese, and press the ingredients into the dish. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream over the beetroot, and then add a sprinkling of breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake in a hot oven 200C for 15 minutes or more, until bubbling and golden on the top.
I served this with bread as a light supper one evening, and then as a side-dish the next night.