We are still enjoying the supply of beef from Louise’s Askernish herd, just delicious. We made this very easy beef curry last night, and reheated it the next day. It is from Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Easy.
- 6 tbsp olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 kg stewing steak
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 225g chopped onions
- 300ml plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish, and when the oil is hot, add the cardamom and cinnamon, stir once and then add the meat. Keep moving the meat until is browned all over, then transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the cumin seeds and onions, on a medium to high heat. Keep stirring and cooking for 10 minutes, until the onion is browning. Turn off the heat when the onion is cooked.
- Return the meat to the pan, and then add all of the other ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan with the lid, and put it into the oven to bake for at least an hour and a half, until the meat is tender.
I served this with almonds browned in a little oil, and with baked potatoes.